Accepting Student Applications for Winter/Spring
Hey Students…are you thinking about your future and want to get a jump start on real life experience? The Bridge offers an innovative and individualized job readiness training program for students. In this volunteer role, students gain real work experience, develop personal and professional leadership skills, and commit to completing a 4 tier curriculum designed just for teens!
Just as they will someday secure a job in the marketplace, students go through an onboarding process and commit to a set schedule for a minimum of 2 hours weekly (based on availability and capacity) after school, during the summer months, or on Saturdays. During the program, students meet individually with Bridge staff for a self evaluation using The Bridge’s proprietary curriculum. Upon completion of the program, students will receive a certificate of completion. Here is a sampling of a small portion of the curriculum:
"Tier 1" Skills Include:
All students in our Job Readiness Program commit to a set schedule at The Bridge Thrift Store for a minimum of 2 hours weekly (based on availability and capacity) after school or on Saturdays. Service includes:
- Sorting, stocking and processing a variety of donations
- Relocating donations from our donation trailer into our processing area
- Greeting and helping our guests to find the treasure they are looking for
- Receiving accurate directions and completing tasks
- Develop eye contact
- Take responsibility for actions and words
"Tier 4" Skills Include:
- Support in leading service groups
- Creating and executing displays on sales floor
- Cast vision and organize a project
- Lead and give instructions to others
- Students (16 or older) gain experience at the cash register
- Learns documenting and reporting
Steps to become a part of the "Thriftastic" Job Readiness Program
- Complete The Bridge's Student Membership Application and become an approved member.
(Already a student member? Proceed to Step 2.)
- Complete the brief job readiness application below.
- You will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview.
- Students accepted into the program will be contacted by a Bridge staff member to set a committed schedule and determine areas of interest.
- Participate in a job orientation.
- Start your first day with on-the-job training!
This opportunity is open to teens in 7th - 12th grade with an approved Bridge student membership. Not a member? Apply for a FREE Student Membership and select “Yes” to serving at The Bridge Thrift Store.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, May 31, 2024.
The Thriftastic Job Readiness Program is sponsored by Macy's and Moraine Valley Community College.
For questions about the Job Readiness Program please contact:
Job Readiness & Volunteer Coordinator