With more than 400 volunteers involved at The Bridge Teen Center and The Bridge Thrift Store each year, it is no secret that the support of the community is what has propelled us into the national spotlight as a leader in the world of teen-specific afterschool programming. Our volunteers are part of our Bridge family, and we hope you will consider joining our team in whatever capacity you are able.
If you are part of a group that is interested in one-time or periodic volunteer projects (individuals or families are also always welcome), we would love to have you at The Bridge Thrift Store! Our amazing volunteers typically sort merchandise, organize the store, receive donations, work the cash register, clean glassware, stock merchandise and more. Contact Morgan at 708.532.0500 or email@example.com for details. Check out how volunteering at our store can impact hundreds of local teens:
If you are interested in volunteering at The Bridge Teen Center specifically, please reach out to Melanie at 708.532.0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about volunteer opportunities at The Bridge Teen Center are outlined below. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or want to talk about how your passions or skills might be put to use at The Bridge.
If you want to apply to volunteer now, please click here.
Ways to Volunteer
Levels of Involvement:
1. Facility Volunteer: During office hours (10–6, Monday-Thursday), volunteers can answer phones, file, enter data, prepare mailings, and perform other administrative tasks. While out in the community, volunteers can help promote The Bridge by distributing printed materials and posting on community bulletin boards.
2. Program Volunteer: Individuals, groups or businesses can volunteer to lead a program based on their interests, expertise and passions. Examples: teach an art class, lead a parent seminar, conduct music lessons, lead culinary demonstrations, or run a fitness program.
3. Bridge Volunteer: Students are drawn here because of the programs and events we offer, but come back because of the relationships we build with them. Whether serving weekly or monthly, Bridge volunteers connect with students and help provide a positive, fun and safe environment. Examples: weekly afterschool and monthly Friday night support.
Qualities of Levels 1-3 volunteers:
- Agree with and support the mission of The BTC
- Faithful, responsible, teachable and available
Qualities of Level 3 volunteers:
- Faith/morals/values consistent w/ those of BTC
- Honest about weaknesses in appropriate manner
- Sense of humor and like to have fun
- Understand the unique dynamics of age group
- Willing to learn more about this age group
- Genuinely love and enjoy students
The Bridge Teen Center wants every volunteer to serve based on their skills, interests, and passions. More importantly, we want your volunteer experience to be as fulfilling for you as it is for the students we serve. Every volunteer is required to complete an application, an in-person interview, and training (intensity of training depends on volunteer role). For the safety of our students, all volunteers who work with students are run through the national sex offenders list and are subject to background checks.
To apply to volunteer, please click here.
"Most Wanted" Volunteer Roles:
- Thrift Store volunteers (Mondays-Saturdays)
- Afterschool bus drivers & sub drivers (T, W, Th)
- Afterschool support (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- Tutors (Math, Science, English)
- Friday night support (Once/month 7-11pm)
- Sound tech for concerts (Once/month, 6-10pm)
- Flyer Distributors (Palos, Oak Forest, Mokena, Frankfort)
- Afternoon summer support (Ideal for college students)
- Seasonal cleaning (Ideal for groups)
- Video projects (Recording programs, Promo videos)
We are always looking for social work, youth ministry, recreation or related field majors who are seeking valuable internship experience working directly with teens. We also welcome applications from marketing, public relations, graphic design or business majors looking to intern at The Bridge Teen Center. To apply, call Melanie at 708.532.0500 or email email@example.com. Applications are available here.
Get community service hours any Monday-Saturday at The Bridge Thrift Store by sorting items, organizing inventory, and greeting customers. This is a year-round opportunity for individual students or student groups. Community service letters are issued to verify service hours. Ongoing committed positions are also available through our "Thriftastic" program. For more information about "Thriftastic", click here. For more information, contact Morgan at 708.532.0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School Volunteer Opportunities at The Bridge
Lead an afterschool program: Pick a talent or interest and help lead a program. Plan an art project, lead a cooking demo, or teach a musical instrument. Available to active Bridge students only.
Use a special skill: Are you good at something like photography, video, writing or decorating? Volunteer to help take pictures at events, decorate for special events, or assist with special projects.
Juniors & Seniors: Tutor and offer homework support to students in a subject you excel at or enjoy, or help set-up on Friday nights (5-7pm).
Spring Into Service: Inquire about how you can get involved with April's Spring Into Service group volunteer project initiative. For more information, contact Amanda Speakman at 708.532.0500 or email@example.com.